Coffee Flour Cacao Fat Bombs– the perfect low carb, high fat treat!
Coffee flour, made from dried coffee fruit, is full of antioxidants and lends an earthy, tart flavor to these Coffee Flour Cacao Fat Bombs– the perfect low carb, high fat treat!
Are you surprised to hear that coffee comes from a fruit? I suppose I knew that on some level, but since our focus is on that caffeine-laden bean in the middle, it’s easy to forget about the fruit that surrounds it. Unfortunately, the coffee berry is often discarded, which is a real waste considering its nutritional benefits.
At Paleo f(x) last month, Dr. David Perlmutter gave a presentation on brain health and regeneration. Listed among the foods that are beneficial for brain cells was the lowly coffee berry (check out this article from Dr. Perlmutter’s website for more info). Coffee fruit is rich in antioxidants, polyphenols, and vitamins, which have anti-aging and anti-inflammatory properties.
I noticed Trader Joe’s started carrying coffee flour several months ago but had no idea what to do with it! After listening to Dr. Perlmutter’s talk, I decided it was time to grab a bag and see what I could make with this nutritional powerhouse. With only 1g of net carbs per tablespoon, I thought it would lend itself well to a low carb, keto-friendly treat.
And so these Coffee Flour Cacao Fat Bombs were born! The coffee flour itself has a roasted, slightly bitter, slightly tart flavor to it. To me, the smell is reminiscent of black tea leaves. Mixed with cacao, coconut, nuts, and seeds, these fat bombs are a perfect little pick me up.
Keep in mind, these Coffee Flour Cacao Fat Bombs are not meant to be sweet like candy, but a little bit of natural sweetener will help offset the bitterness of the cocoa and coffee flour. I am very sensitive to the taste of stevia and this pure stevia leaf powder is the only brand I can stand. A little bit goes a very long way, so a bottle will last you a long time. If you have another type of stevia you like, you are welcome to use that and sweeten to your preference. Monk fruit, xylitol, honey, or maple syrup would also work, but the amount will vary. I recommend to start small and add more if needed.
If you don’t have a Trader Joe’s near you, many shops sell coffee flour as well and is a great place to grab the other nuts and seeds you’ll need for this recipe. Thrive Market is another great resource for these ingredients and tons of other healthy foods at really great prices. Start your 30-day free trial here.
Coffee Flour Cacao Fat Bombs Recipe
Nutrition Info (per 1 Coffee Flour Cacao Fat Bombs, when a recipe is made into 21 servings): Calories 137, Fat 12.5g, Protein 3.2g, Carbs 3.7g, Fiber 2.3g, Net Carbs 1.4g.
Coffee Flour Cacao Fat Bombs are Low carb, high fat, keto, paleo, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free.
- Combine the almonds, macadamia nuts, sunflower seeds, and hemp seeds in a food processor (or high-powered blender such as a Vitamix). Pulse the mixture until it is finely chopped (not as fine as a flour, but not in large chunks).
- Add the cacao powder, coffee flour, collagen peptides, and salt. Pulse a couple of times to combine.
- Add the coconut oil, cacao butter, coconut butter, and vanilla, as well as a small amount of stevia. I used two scoops of this pure stevia powder (the small scoop is included in the bottle). If using drops, start with just a couple. Blend until the mixture starts to clump together.
- Taste the mixture and add more stevia to your liking.
- Line a small baking sheet or plate with wax paper or parchment paper. Use a small portion scoop or tablespoon to scoop the mixture into balls, roughly the size of ping pong balls.
- Place in the refrigerator and let chill at least 1 hour, until firm. Enjoy tasty and healthy Coffee Flour Cacao Fat Bombs!
Store your Coffee Flour Cacao Fat Bombs in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.