Are you craving for Chicken Spaghetti? Necessity is the mother of creation, isn’t that what they say? Chefs often say their favorite meals are the ones they whip up after a long shift from whatever ingredients are left in the kitchen. I’d like to pretend I’m always prepared– I try to keep a well-stocked pantry, I’m always flagging recipes in magazines or on Pinterest, and I go to the grocery store way too often. But sometimes I’m caught without a plan. More often than not I get into the kitchen and I improvise.
A few weeks later my fiancé will say something like “Can you make those lamb chops again?” and I’ll have to admit that I really can’t because I only kinda-sorta remember what I put on that lamb that one time.
So I’m very proud of myself this time. I created a recipe…and I wrote it down! Granted, this recipe had a little more brainstorming behind it. You see, on Monday I took advantage of the Whole Foods $6 rotisserie chicken special and bought two chickens. I figured Matt could pretty much eat an entire one on his own (he really almost did!), but that still left plenty of chicken behind. What to do with all that chicken?
I crafted this recipe in my head throughout the day as I ran around town doing errands. Most of the ingredients were things I already had on hand in my pantry. There were just a couple things I wanted and I swung by the store on my way home to pick up the last few essentials to what I hoped would be a delicious dinner.
Sometimes I get a little nervous serving meal like this Matt. He always devours and praises the food I cook for him, but his favorite food is pasta…which I obviously never cook for him! So when I presented him with a plate of spaghetti squash with a dairy-free “cream” sauce, I worried a bit.
There was no need this time. This creamy Artichoke Basil Chicken Spaghetti Squash was a bowl of warm, comforting, hearty, and delicious food that we both gobbled up. Good thing I wrote down that recipe because I’ll be wanting to make this again soon!
Preparation of Artichoke Basil Chicken Spaghetti Squash
Artichoke Basil Chicken Spaghetti Squash Paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free, low carb.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Place the squash cut-side-down on the baking sheet and roast in the oven until the outside of the squash gives a little when prodded, about 30-40 minutes. Remove from the oven and flip over cut-side-up to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, chicken, pepper, nutmeg, and chili flakes. Sauté 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Taste the sauce and add salt as needed. Stir in the basil and remove from the heat.
- Use a fork to scrape the insides of the spaghetti squash into strands. Divide the squash among the plates, then top with the sauce. If you can tolerate dairy, top with a little grated parmesan. Enjoy your Artichoke Basil Chicken Spaghetti Squash!