Healthy and tasty Paleo Apple Crisp are calling your name! Have you ever used one of those nifty apple peeler/corer/slicer contraptions? My mom used to own one and they certainly made apple crisp-making way too easy. She would quickly prep a half dozen apples, throw them into a baking dish, whip up a buttery, cinnamon oat streusel, and about forty-five torturous minutes of a wait later, we would have a piping hot dish of apple crisp all to ourselves!
I don’t own one of those apple contraptions, which is probably a good thing because I would be whipping up this Paleo Apple Crisp every week if I did. Even without one, it doesn’t take long to peel, core, and slice by hand enough apples to make this delicious dessert.
Fun fact: that little serving of apple crisp I dished out for these photos was gobbled up in two minutes flat. I told myself just a bite since dinner was literally in the oven about to be served, but I couldn’t stop myself! This paleo apple crisp is just as good as any classic recipe from your childhood. The sliced almonds in the crisp topping are reminiscent of the traditional rolled oats and my special addition of allspice in the apple filling makes this dessert absolutely heavenly.
Paleo Apple Crisp
- In a large bowl, combine apples and remaining filling ingredients. Toss well to evenly coat the apple slices with the spices.
- Pour apples into a 9″x13″ or similar size baking dish and spread in an even layer. Bake 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the topping. Combine all ingredients except the butter in a bowl. Mix well.
- Add the cold, cubed butter and rub it into the dry mixture with your fingertips until evenly distributed. Store mixture in the refrigerator until the apples are ready.
- After 30 minutes, remove the apples from the oven and evenly sprinkle the topping over them.
- Return to the oven and bake another 20 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly around the edges. Serve warm. Enjoy!
Cover any leftovers and store in the fridge for up to 7 days. Best reheated in the oven, but can be reheated in the microwave.